At altSTATES, we believe in highlighting beauty in unexpected places. Join us in cooperation with the City of Gary Redevelopment Commission for a trip to a city that few appreciate and even fewer have explored: Gary, Indiana.
Once a booming steel town, Gary has struggled to escape its modern economic woes that have led to the abandonment of many once-magnificent structures. On this trip, we'll go behind the scenes at many of Gary's once-gleaming buildings (including donning hard hats and going inside several) and neighborhoods to learn about its storied past and see what's being done to help bring back its former glory.
Here's what to expect:
- Meet in the west side of the North Davenport Walmart parking lot (5811 Elmore Avenue, Davenport, IA). 7:00 am departure
- Depart for Gary, IN (approx. 3 hour drive)
- Arrive in Gary and begin our approximately 4 hour driving and walking tour of some of the city's landmarks:
- Abandoned Union Station
- Abandoned Post Office and Memorial Auditorium
- Abandoned City Methodist Church (we'll go inside)
- Abandoned Heat, Light & Water Building (we'll go inside)
- The city's last remaining Frank Lloyd Wright home
- Michael Jackson's childhood home
- Grab lunch at a popular locally-owned restaurant (not included in the tour price)
- Depart for Davenport, stopping for dinner along the way. Arrival around 7:30 pm
- There will be quite a bit of walking during this tour - expect at least 3 miles
- Due to safety guidelines for our time inside of the older abandoned buildings, all guests must wear closed-toed shoes
- All guests must sign a waiver and release of liability before embarking
- Guests ages 14 and up are welcome to join this tour
- Is this tour safe? Yes. altSTATES is organizing this tour our local partner, the City of Gary Redevelopment Commission, to ensure your safety throughout the tour.
- Do we really get to go inside abandoned buildings? Yep! We will sign an additional waiver and don hardhats before heading into several amazing old structures.
- Can I take photos? Sure! Photos and videos are encouraged throughout the tour. There will be tons of great photo opportunities!
- How does my trip help Gary? altSTATES will be donating $50 for each tour participant to the Gary Preservation Tour, which helps to bring people and investment to the city.
- How many people will be on the tour? We'll have a group 10 guests or less, and will be rolling to, from, and around Gary in the altSTATES van.
- Have additional questions? Feel free to contact us!
10 people. A million memories.
We keep our tours small so we can provide an excellent experience for you.
Our tour partner:
Do something different this weekend.
Going? Check out the event on Facebook!
If you have a larger group, consider booking us for private tour. We can run this same tour or some fun variations for your group any day of the week!
Thanks for choosing altSTATES! We look forward to meeting you soon.
Stay up on what's to come
Be the first to know about future tours, events, and discounts. You can unsubscribe anytime and we won't share your information.